Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Woman In Grey*

First of all, go read this interview. Secondly, Jessica Day George rocks. Even if I didn't love her books, which I do, I would buy them. Just to support her literary view of women. I approve big time.

The interviewer gets JDG to talk about what she doesn't like about how women are sometimes portrayed in literature. This is my favorite passage:

JDG: When the girl does save the day, but does so by, essentially, becoming a man. (William Shakespeare, she’s talking to you!) Dressing as a man, short hair, ultra-butch, sometimes even having to conceal her identity and live as a man completely, in order to earn the right to fight her own battles. No. NoNoNoNoNo! There is no reason why a girl who also enjoys high fashion cannot pick up the candlestick and knock the evil wizard unconscious. There is no reason why a woman cannot be a military strategist and still knit as a hobby, or have kids, or enjoy riding off into the sunset with a tall handsome guy on a white horse when the battle is won. So I write my heroines the way I like to think I am: smart, funny, tough, and well-dressed! In short: normal. It isn’t a fluke when a girl saves the day, she isn’t a freak of nature. She’s a heroine, the equal of a hero.

Seriously, go read the interview if you haven't. It's not long and you might even like it. Also, I have it on good authority (another awesome author, "Hi Michele") that JDG is super nice. I always love to hear that.

I've talked on and on, ad naseum, about wanting Grace to have positive role models in the books she reads. I've been reading up a storm in preparation for her soon-to-be great love of reading, just in case. I'm collecting books and lists of books like mad -thank you everyone for contributing to that cause.

Back to the quote. "It isn’t a fluke when a girl saves the day, she isn’t a freak of nature. " And this is often the case. When I read about this strong, normal, heroine -she is unusual within her society. She stands out. Is this because a woman such as JDG describes would automatically stand out in a real world or because she needs to stand out as the main character? Which is it, do you think?

I'd like to hope she stands out only because she needs to for the purposes of storytelling.** I like to think that this strong, normal heroine is part of a society that produces women just like her and she is what she is. Am I wrong to hope?

I'm finding more stories to suit this vein of thinking and it's great. Hermione is a start. Miri is another (Princess Academy -it's not Disney, don't get turned off by the title). You can read it in every one of JDG's stories.

So, anyhow, I loved this interview. I'll keep looking for the SIW -strong independent woman (thanks Lauren and Eric for that phrase) in books and real life. But now you know what I think.


*as opposed to black and white (you now, helpless or uber-witchy)
**did you get that, J -I actually used the phrase 'purposes of storytelling' please don't shun me later

4 comments:

Erika said...

JGD sounds like a wonderful author. I need to look up her books! I'm currently reading Pope Joan, which I'm loving, but goes right along with what she was saying about the women heroines who have to disguise themselves, butch their hair, etc. Have you read Pope Joan? If so, did you like it?

Shawn said...

Speaking of good moms....and I guess we really weren't. But you are. And that was a good post and I liked the interview. Don't girls (and by girls I mean women) usually save the day in real life?

Meg said...

I just bought Princess Academy the other day and am loving it! Thanks for all the fun recommendations. I am hoping that Grace will turn in to a lover of books and that she will become one of Elyza's role models and that Lyza will want to be just as cool as her older cousin Gracie and read lots of books too!
As for the heroine part: it actually seems unrealistic to me when the heroine becomes manish in order to be the hero. I just think that if I were in a story, as me right now, I would not at all feel like I needed to become something I am not in order to accomplish whatever heroic feat I may be attempting. It totally turns me off in a story if the women has to "hide" her womenly traits in order to be who she wants to be. Sure sure, I sew and cook and take an hour and a half each morning to get ready, but I am sure I could help fight off voldemort in my cute 4 inch shoes with my hair done just so and my makeup still perfect and without an ounce of sweat on me, couldn't I? I think so.

miss kitti said...

Erika, I haven't read Pope Joan but I saw it on your list and want to take a look at it.

RD -good thing you're not offensive at all. Or playing to stereo-types. But still, as a well-endowed woman, I thank you.

maybe I can buy someone else's rights to use the phrase?

Shawn, you're one of the best moms. Girls totally save the day. Who else would hold everything together?

Meg- also check out Gail Carson Levine, wonderful. Maybe Lyza will pass on her love of reading to Grace.

I would love to try my hand at being a heroine. In my favorite books (Jane Austen) I don't think I'd be nearly demure enough. Shame, really.