Monday, September 22, 2008

In Which MissKitti Returns To The Adult Class

I'm not going to lie, folks. I'm pretty excited to be going back to Relief Society.

I was called to be the RS Secretary on Sunday. Sweet. (I hope.) I have no idea what all that entails. I'm sure it will be great, whatever it is.

For the next little while, I'll be playing double duty until someone is called to replace me as teacher to the ten-year-olds. Everyone assures me this will happen quickly. I hope so -no RS until then.

It's not that I didn't love my calling in the Primary. Or like it, often. The presidency and other teachers are totally great and sweet and very helpful. And I often enjoyed the children. I also really liked singing time.

However, it turns out I don't have a lot in common with ten-year-old boys. Other than books -they gave some really good reading suggestions. Fablehaven, anyone? Artmeis Fowl? (To be fair, Burton and Tracy have been recommending these for years.) Spiderwick. Unfortunately, the Book of Mormon isn't on their list of "must reads".

So, while books other than the BoM can take up a portion of the lesson time, at some point we're going to have to get to the whole point of their being in Sunday School. Yep. And then the sound effects start. And the crawling around and under the chairs. Sometimes the throwing of things. The spontaneous shouting or calling out -not to be confused with speaking in tongues. Sweet boys, all, just still working on impulse and volume control.*

I've started to see my class as cosmic justice. I was not what you would call a quiet and sedate child in my Primary-going years. Oh no. I remember many Sundays having to sit in Grandpa's chair, after church, to practice being reverent.

Quick note on 'grandpa's chair' for the uninitiated: my Grandpa was an amazing carpenter-wood worker. He often built things for his kids and grandkids: beautiful cedar chests, plant stands, roll-top bread boxes (Mom, I really want yours), toy boxes, many things. He made us two oak chairs. Very functional and sturdy and lovely to look at. Also, not especially comfortable if you're a little kid and your legs don't reach the floor and the seat of the chair hits at an awkward spot on the back of your knees. And the backs are hard. People with bad backs love these chairs.

So. If we didn't sit reverently in church -all three hours- we had to sit in Grandpa's chair when we got home. Half-hour, hour, whatever. We learned to be reverent, let me tell you. I think my parents were on to something. Surprisingly enough, I really like those chairs now.

Moving on. I spent a lot of time alternately visiting the Bishop's office (who was my dad for five of those years) and sitting in Grandpa's chair. Which translates, roughly, to me not being a favorite with the teachers in Primary. Bless their little hearts.

Anywho, I'm sure I'll take another (many more) turn(s) in Primary. I'll try harder to be a better teacher. More fun lessons and all that. But for now, WAHOO! I'm going to Relief Society!


*if you're the parent of any of the above, and I don't think you are, don't feel bad. i'm sure my kid is giving her teacher a run for her money at least occassionally. we all raise our kids the best we can and hope they don't torture their teachers. no hard feelings.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you that you get a change--I admire anybody who's willing to teach in primary, especially 10 year old BOYS!! Crazy!! I sometimes wish I could go to RS and get my "cup" filled there each Sunday, but being primary pianist isn't all that bad--it's just about the easiest calling you could get and can be quite entertaining.

Dorri said...

I envy you being able to go the RS. I miss is greatly. WE have great teachers in our RS (or so I've been told).
I have been teaching in priamry for a very long time now. I've served in Primary in almost every ward we've been in. I did get a calling in RS around the time of Miss Magoo's birth I got to be on the homemaking board (or what ever it's called now). That was and still is one of my favorite callings ever. I've taught almost every class in primary except the valiant 11 girls, and the ctr8 class. Currently I'm teaching 9 little sunbeams (we have 3 sunbeam classes so I don't teach Miss Magoo) I've been thinking of letting the Primary president know that at the end of the year I'm gonna need a break.. I'm worn out. But we'll see if I can get up the courage to actually say that it someone's face.

Lola said...

What a relief. I've been dying to get out of RS since I moved into the ward last summer, but now that I've been in primary for a couple months, I'm grateful for the weeks I was able to sit in RS. Eric and I team teach the 8/9 year olds and boy do I feel for you with the
10's. In our ward the class is 6 boys and there should definately be a Grandpa's chair for all of them! (Lovely in their own way, I'm sure) Luckily, the teacher team for that class is anyone but me, because I would NOT be able to handle those guys. Yay for being RS Secretary! I've been that several times and always enjoyed it.

Nicea said...

I will appreciate my time in RS even more now that I've read this post, MissKitti, but I know that my time there is limited. Our bishop told us about three months ago that we in the RS presidency would be released sometime this fall. So, we've watched as the Young Women and Young Men have been reorganized, the Activities Committee and the Scouts, none of whom were alerted like we were! Even the Compassionate Service leader and two of the R.S. teachers have been changed. The primary was reorganized a year ago, so at least the presidency is in for another year or two. But that leaves Sunday School and Primary teaching slots open. Hmmmm. Maybe I won't even get another calling? (Did I say that out loud?)