Friday, February 08, 2008

A List of Another Kind

Yes. I am all about the lists. I love lists. They organize my world. They keep the peace. They keep the sanity. And, when I get to cross something off they provide an immense amount of satisfaction. Or, when I don't anything done; crushing guilt and sometimes shame. So you know, good times.

I've found, however, that sometimes "listing", as I call it, can be stressful. I made this discovery a couple of months ago in a therapy session. I pulled out a to-do list and then remembered the three others I had created all for the same items. I had FOUR of the SAME to-do lists. Just in case I lost one???? I don't know. It's like when one goes over and over in one's mind what needs to be done -so it isn't forgotten- but really it's just obsessing. Not. Good.

Needless to say, I've been trying to cut down on the listing. I try to have only one list per category. Categories may include: Daily, weekly, monthly chores/errands; Personal Goals; Family goals; gift ideas; book ideas (who doesn't?); books I NEED to read; etc. Clearly not obsessing at all.

Do you know -cutting down on the lists has actually helped. I'm less stressed when I'm confronted by only one set of "to-do's". It's very liberating. One less monkey on my back.

3 comments:

Dorri said...

I used to make all kinds of lists. Then I noticed one day at my mil's house that she had a "master list" for all her lists. That freaked me out a little, so I've cut back on lists. Usually I have a grocery list on the fridge and unless something special is going on that's the only list in my house. And I agree, not having a lot of "to-do" lists around the house had made me less stressed about what I'm not doing, but I still seem to get most of the things done that need to be done.

miss kitti said...

Wow, a master list of lists. I have to bow to that.

Maudie Jane said...

I don't know about master list people, but I did try to just have one list going at a time cause let us be honest about it, I can't keep track of more then one list at a time. Fortunately I don't have to anymore; I have all my lists on my phone. So now I do have a lot of lists again. I was making one last night. I am surprising Kgordee with some Valentines fun so I have a whole list devoted to what I need for the festivities.