Monday, February 25, 2008

Instead of The Thin Red Line

Sadly, our copy of Thin Red Line has been damaged and five minutes in we had to stop it. UGH. This was to be my first screening of it. I've heard from many sources, but mostly from Justin, that it's a good story about people and war and redemption (or atonement -one of those two) and more meaningful than Saving Private Ryan (which I did not see- too bloody).

Instead I found The Oscars. And watched that. Yes, I watched all gazillion hours of it. Went for the red carpet, stayed for Jon Stewart. I've seen a few of the nominated films so it was fun to see who won.

"Best Actor" Daniel Day Lewis was AMAZING in There Will Be Blood (incidentally, for a movie so entitled, there was remarkably little blood). I've never seen him in anything else, so I have nothing to compare it too, however, he really was believable. Paul Dano was also really good and I'm surprised that he didn't receive a nomination as well.

I just saw Once and was so happy it won best original song (or whatever it was called). The music was totally great and I'm hoping to own the soundtrack soon. I totally recommend the movie if you're in the mood for a quiet character-driven drama. Good times.

Okay so, dresses and miscellany: Helen Mirren has a totally rock'in bod. I just have to get that out of the way right now. She looked awesome, flattering dress, great color, age appropriate (She's got to be in her sixties). Cate Blanchett was glowing. I didn't love the thing around the neck but she looked great. Miley Cyrus actually looked age-appropriate in her dress. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see much of the red carpet, as I flip to it until five minutes before the show started. (see above)

All around, there was a lot of red, a lot of black. Nothing outrageous. I didn't love Tilda Swinton's (sp?) dress -a little too drab for my taste- but I'm wondering if that's her thing. She tends to go beyond "understated" and has a vise-grip on "over-sized but classic shapes, minimal make-up". I don't know, not my favorite but she was awesome as The Queen (Lion, Witch...) and very believable in Michael Clayton. Justin pointed out that she would make an awesome David Bowie impersonator. So really, I hope to see her in an upcoming SNL, or perhaps as David Bowie when someone makes his bio-pic; David Bowie: the man and his music. Or something like that.

What did you all do last night?

3 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

Totally the Oscars yo! I was so happy that Juno won for best director and that Once got best original composition. I was so happy that they brought what's her bucket back out to give her thank you's after being cut off by the music. I thought that was really sweet considering how amazing their performance was in the movie and last night.
I loved Hilary Swank's dress and I totally agree about Helen Mirren dressed rocked and way so tasteful. I would love to wear something like that, the red was the perfect color and it was so flattering.
Speaking of flattering Nicole Kidman looked so beautiful in black, super simple dress with lots of sparkles around the neck.

Dorri said...

Let's see tried to make bread, apparently I can't count, I think that I missed at least 1/2 cp water. Anyway it sorta turned out. Then I ran PJ to choir practice. They are having a children's choir for stake confrence on the 9th, and little guy is in it. Then when I got home my mil was visiting. The kids were thrilled and we had a very nice visit. After she left I tried to watch the oscars, but DH started with the mocking and I gave into the pressure and we watched Sweat Equity. What can I say I love my husband and to him watching any awards show is pure torture.

richard dandelion said...

Juno's screenwriter, Diablo Cody, won Best Original Screenplay. Is that what you meant?

(Juno didn't win best director — if it had, the Oscar would've gone to Jason Reitman, not Diablo Cody. No Country for Old Men directors Joel & Ethan Coen won for directing.)