Monday, February 18, 2008

Bedtime

In college, I sometimes went to bed at 8:30pm. Yes, I'm serious. Once I met Justin, that changed to 1am. Once we got married: 12am. These days, 11pm or so. Yeah, not so great. Or at least not enough.

I'm a solid 8-10 hours of sleep per night kinda' gal. It's true. I get tired. I really like getting up early, when I actually do. It's nice to feel like I'm getting a head start on my day. I like being up before Justin and Grace (both night-owls).

This lack of sleep is keeping me from being everything I want to be, I've decided. It's keeping me from exercise. I'm too tired to get up in the morning and too worn-out/lazy at the end of the day. Being tired makes it harder for me not to be grouchy, impatient, and in general (dare I say it?) -less than wonderful.

My current goal is to get more sleep. Obstacles to doing this are:
  • wanting to spend more time with J at night
  • not wanting the day to end (usually due to not getting enough things done)
  • feeling frumpy (see above) for some reason I hate going to bed frumpy, I don't know why
  • scheduling -meetings, shopping, girl's nights
Somehow, I'll have to work through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. How does one really reconcile the need with the actual amount for sleep, or anything for that matter?

3 comments:

Dorri said...

I so hear you on this one. I'm not a morning person, but I have to pretend to be one. DH has to get up so early (between 3 and 4) and I'm the one that turns the alarm off for him and then try and really get him up and going. And hope that after he leaves I might get another hour or 2 of sleep. Then I have to get PJ up by 7 for school. But when the daycare kids come I need to be up by 5:50 so I can be down stairs when they get here by 6:30. When all I really what to do is sleep till 9!! One of these days I'm going to go get a hotel just so I can sleep all night long and wake up when I want, though with my luck I won't be able to sleep because no one will be snoring in my ear.
As to how I try to get more sleep. I try to go to bed when DH does. He tries for 9:30 most nights, and that does help. but there are nights that I stay up after everyone has gone to sleep just to have some "me" time, even though I know that I'll pay for it in the morning.

miss kitti said...

Oooh, I so get the staying up for me time. J and I have talked about that, not wanting to go to bed until we've gotten to relax a little on our own.

Maudie Jane said...

You ladies are Speaking my Language! Kgordee and I got to bed last night close to 2am. Here is how that happened. 9:30pm, me on the couch reading the last of my book, Kgordee on the computer waiting for me to finish so we can watch a movie. K, "are you almost done"? Me: "ten more minutes". 10:30pm, K: did you still want to watch that movie. Me, "yes, I literally have three more pages". So ten minutes latter we start watching the movie. After the show, (no reservations, don't waist your time) we realized we didn't have any whites for tomorrow. With our machine on the fritz it was a bit before we got to bed.
Usually it's not as grand as that, mostly after the kids go down it takes a while to unwind then we are both trying to go to the track. It seems for us we can't get to bet before at least midnight every night. Last week I went to bed at 10:30 and I remember thinking, wow, I think it has been years since I have been in bed this early. Clearly there is a problem here.