Monday, November 10, 2008

What Elephant?

This is true: until this election period, I always thought that the donkey was for the GOP and the elephant for the Dems. How did I mix that up? Embarrassing but oh, so true.

Moving on from things I don't know.

In light of recent events, you may or may not have been reading Føfee. If you have, you may have been surprised, disappointed, interested, freaked out, or relieved at what you have read there. I don't know. You don't have to tell me. Clearly.

The purpose of my blog, however, has been to keep in touch with family and friends, post about The Gracestress and to express my many bewildered and bewildering thoughts on all things not political. Naturally, I slipped a little with the "not political" in the last couple of months—I am human.

J, however, has set no such constraints on himself and I admire his honesty and transparency in sharing his thoughts, ideas, frustrations and loves. I generally save my politicking for his blog.

What I have to say is this: I don't want my personal beliefs or disbeliefs to be a reason that we can't all get along. I can't stand the idea of offending anyone and driving a friend or family member away because of something I say or agree with (thus the aim at posting noncontroversial, one might even say milk toast, blog posts).

Isn't it possible for us to have differing, strongly held beliefs and continue to discourse? Or at least continue to make polite conversation until such time as we remember that we have many other things in common: books, movies, books, life experiences, books, friends, perhaps clothes (sorry, I'll return what I've borrowed, eventually).

Everyone here has always been kind, loving and above reproach. So I'm not really addressing this to my lovelies. I just know that both the election and Prop 8 have been a really big deal for a long time and we all feel differently about each of those things. I hope that won't stand in the way of the continued sharing of funny stories, the telling of deep, dark secrets, and the various and sundry other things we talk about. Not to mention the pictures. Oh, the pictures.

I love you all. I'm striving to be more honest about who I am. I'm still figuring out where I'm going with all of this. (If you're thinking, "A hot place," stop that! It's bad karma!) I'm thinking about Gandhi and MLK, Jr a lot these days. I'm thinking a lot about President Hinckley's call for greater decency and understanding. I'm pondering his invitation to welcome all truths into our communities.

Here I am.

12 comments:

Lola said...

I am always impressed with JT's ability to express his feelings and that he does it so openly. I am still working on the confidence to do that. RD, you are inspiring.

Kitti, I feel your struggle. We should all be able to express our views without hurt feelings and broken friendships. Isn't that what makes us friends? I continue to work on my acceptance of people's views that completely boggle me, but it's so hard sometimes!

Nicea said...

Yes to greater decency and understanding! Yes to differing opinions and strongly-held beliefs in continued discourse! Yes to maintaining friendships! Yes to honesty! No to disappointment, freak out and surprise at Fofee!

And I add my personal belief that there are as many paths to God as there are people on earth.

Nice to hear from you again, Miss Kitti.

Nicea said...

P.S. I probably should amend my above sentence to somehow indicate that I also know not everyone believes in my God or in any god at all, hence yet another path.

annie said...

ditto all.

Erika said...

Yes, I second Annie's ditto. And I, along with lola, am trying to accept other people's views and trying to understand where they are coming from. I have total respect for other's opinions as long as they express them peacefully and bring no harm to my family or those members of my church (thinking of all the prop 8 stuff going on). I keep reminding myself that we are all children of God, brothers and sisters, and we need to treat each other that way despite our different views. Thanks for the love Kitti! You are so genuine and truly a good person.

Dorri said...

Well I for one am dissappointed, don't you know that we are always supposed to agree on everything, and what you aren't sure on you can ask me and I'll tell you what you are supposed to think! that's what big sisters are for.
I love that our family has such strong opinions on things that are important to them. Imagine how boring our family would be if we were all the same, there would be no drama, and our family can't survive w/out drama.
I think that you need to be true to your inner Kitti and post things that are important to you. I know that this blog was orginally started by you for the sisters to keep in touch, and some use it some don't. But you don't have to feel like you can only post things that are going to appeal to everyone.
I love the pictures and thoughts on the Gracetress, who wouldn't, but I also love the other stuff that you post ( okay for the most part, and what I don't exactly love, it at least makes me think which is what you're going for right?)

Shawn said...

Kitti, I needed this today. You made me get that good kind of water in my eyes. I've been really stressed about the whole thing and I really would just like to have fun. See Nicea's new blog for some fun stuff.

I'm sure sorry if I have offended anyone with my posts. Love to you all.

Natalie said...

Difference is what makes the world such a fascinating place to be. Kitti, I love to read what you write and hear what you think. Struggling to find oneself is an interesting journey that never seems to end. Luckily, we are all here to help each other.

Princess Consuela and Banana Hammock said...

Thanks, Kitti, for the kind words. Very peace promoting and Ghandi-like. I fear that my stubborn opinions, and my statements that voiced them, may have stirred emotions I never intended to. I look up to you, RD, and all of my cousins. I am better for the things I have learned from you all. Please keep posting your true feelings (all of you). We should have no reason to fear doing so regardless of the topic.

Sherry Carpet said...

kum-ba-ya -- me too!

i love getting to know my family better this way (esp. my far-away SIL). it's strange that this should be painful sometimes, but everyone who commented before me has said something that moved me, and it all feels very, very much worth it.

nicea, i just love how you phrased that: "there are as many paths to God as there are people on earth."

thanks, everyone

Nicea said...

Yeah, Kum-ba-ya. C'mon everybody. You know you wanna sing. Don't make Sherry stand up there all by herself waving her singing lady arm.

Maudie Jane said...

Wow, wonderful post Kitti, and yes we can still be friends. I love reading your posts, political or no, they make me think and they make me wish I was a better writer. I think you do such a wonderful job of bringing people together, something that is very difficult for me to do. But hey if we can't be nice at least we can be funny, no?