Friday, November 14, 2008

Various and Sundry IV

At some point, you'll learn to skip over these posts as they're not very interesting, even to me. Until then, while I have someone's attention...
  • Where would one find an anthology of fairy tales? Not the traditional Grimm Brothers or Hans Christian Anderson. I'm thinking more Middle Eastern, Russian, African or even Nordic. I want to check out some new stories or different versions from ones I've grown up with. Any ideas?
  • Also, I found some fun new (new to me) books: The Ordinary Princess, by M. M. Kaye (I think this was recommended by amazon) and The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan (thanks to D.F.D. for that one). Both are great for kids, and apparently for moms pretending that they are reading, in advance, for their kids but are really just reading for their own pleasure. Good for them, too.
  • I came home from a girl's night, last night to find Grace still awake. She called me up to see her and had a very serious confession to make. It turns out that J had fallen asleep while they were watching a show together and Grace switched it to a TiVo'd Project Runway. "Mom. I knew it was getting late but I just had to see the clothes! Then I knew I should tell you. I stayed up until 9:23. I'm sorry." Dude, I stay up for the clothes, too.
  • In Twilight news, I won't be going to the midnight showing of the movie. What kind of fan am I?! The tired kind, I guess. How sad for me. So, confess, who's going to be there at midnight?

14 comments:

Erika said...

What a sweet, honest girl to confess to you like that!

I am not a night person, so I will be slumbering peacefully while so many other women out there will be up until the wee hours of the morning drooling over our vampire friends. However, I did preorder a bunch of tickets for next Friday night's 7:15 showing. Ryan and I and a bunch of his siblings and spouses, and even his parents are going with us. It should be a blast, and I really can't wait. I've been listening to the soundtrack every day. Paramore rocks, and for anyone who hasn't seen their video for one of the Twilight songs, go to www.stepheniemeyer.com and look on the movie page and it's there. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!

Dorri said...

I'm really torn about seeing this morning, on one hand I really want to see it. But on the other, what if it ruins the books for me. So I'm hoping that someone will do a review for me and then maybe I can make up my mind baout it.

Sherry Carpet said...

gracestress--what an original. so truthful, so naughty in the very best, most right way to be.

you may already have a copy of "Echo: Scandinavian Stories About Girls" because i know J encountered it in his byu days. it's not exactly what you're looking for and the stories are all somewhat modern (the oldest author born in 1813), but i think you'd still like it. the stories are not the ones we grew up with (except maybe pippi longstocking.

many of the stories have a central theme: "rejection of the traditional female role," which makes for some fun and interesting characters.

edited by Ia Dubois and Katherine Hanson.

Nicea said...

Sweet, honest Grace. I love the innocence. (That doesn't look right. How about innocentness. Yes. That will do. I'm sure it's spelled right because it is such a new word.)

Lola said...

a girl after my own heart. i was so thrilled that bravo moved PR up to 9pm because i too HAD to see the clothes and it always made for a rough next morning.\

i won't be going to the midnight showing of the sweet sweet vampire movie because my boss can't stay up that late. he made me swear on everything holy that i would not go see it without him as i was the one that hooked him on the story.

want to laugh?
we decided it caused too much tension between us to both be in love with edward, so he graciously gave him to me and decided he would love emmett instead. we're lovers, not fighters.

Sherry Carpet said...

there's an emmett? crap! now the name's going to be popular by the time my someday son is born. argh.

Unknown said...

Why stay up late when you can leave work early the following day and catch the matinee? I LOVE matinees.

Unknown said...

Here is my fairy tale recommendation list: 1. 'One Thousand and One Nights'
(Sometimes the watered down version is called 'Arabian Nights'.) I love the outlining story of a clever woman who has power over a king because of her ability to weave tales of magic and excitement. (That's how I got with Benji.)
Along this line, I think Isabel Allende wrote 'Tales of Eva Luna'. These are for more mature audiences, but with a similar flavor
2.The Oscar Wilde fairy tale collection
I checked this out once from Schlow library and found some old favorites like 'The Happy Prince' and 'The Selfish Giant'.
I hope this helps.

richard dandelion said...

SC, this is the only real Emmett. Posers need not apply, so you and your someday son are safe.

Sherry Carpet said...

RD, YES, HE'S THE ONE. is it bad to name your boys after cowboys as long as you don't let them grow up to be such?

richard dandelion said...

Not only no, SC.

Hell, no.

annie said...

i'm going! with a friend who would only go if i promised to keep her identity anonymous. hmmm....

Meg said...

Love the Riordan books! They get better with each one so have fun.
I am still debating whether to see the movie or not. I am with Moddy, I am afraid it will ruin it for me. I will probably give in, I'm sure I will, but for now I am still holding out a bit.
I love Grace. What a sweet confession.

miss kitti said...

Okay, so I was not planning on the midnight show but it ended up being the only free-time for me and Cass so that's what we did.

Late night + full theatre + so-so expectations = good times.