Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Too Verclempt

I already couldn't sleep last night as I considered the outcomes of today's election. J did his best to talk me down and then couldn't sleep himself. Poor guy. For the record, J was the one reminding me, "family before politics."

Fortunately for family relations, he also suggested it would be in poor taste to title my next blog entry, "If you voted for McCain, we can no longer be friends". He assures me, on either side of the aisle, what we really need is to get along and strive for understanding before guns.

A few other people had these ideas in mind as well. I wanted to point them out, in case you haven't already read them.

Big thanks to Christian for sharing this. I'll need to see if I live close enough to anyone willing to admit to my face that they voted opposite me. And I'll need to play nice. Maybe I'll wait 'til after the election to see how I'm feeling about this one.

Also to Darin and Dave for sharing this. I LOVE this post and agree with so much of it. Sadly, as always happens, it was taken in the wrong way by some. However, I think it's a fantastic way of broaching what Christian suggested in his post.

And because I so often agree with RD. Not so much conciliatory but certainly well-thought out. Would you expect anything less of the man I love?!

Anywho, BBQ anyone?

Also, tomorrow, let's all go back to being the best of friends. Happy voting.

14 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

K, I feel you, it's a harsh world out there. Both Kg and I have had sleepless nights just thinking about today.

My comfort is that I hope to be crying tears of joy tonight rather then face four more years.

Sherry Carpet said...

things are already looking very good, ladies. as i'm doing my private jig of joy tonight (i hope, i hope), i'll wish i could be there with you and RD, Miss Kitti.

annie said...

ooooh i'm so excited! but i must confess...i'm watching 90210 instead of the results. what? they'll be the same tomorrow whether i watch or not. :P

richard dandelion said...

HOLY CRAP!! CNN just called Ohio for Obama. Can you say,

BOO YA!!

richard dandelion said...

PA, OH, MI, IA ... the list goes on.

annie said...

BOO YA!

richard dandelion said...

BOO YA, VA! (I hope. Maybe.)

Shawn said...

Once again....the odd woman out. I hope Kitti will still be my friend. And the rest of you too. But I'm not ashamed of the way I voted. I'm not against voting Democratic, Obama just wasn't my guy. Enjoy your victory!

Sherry Carpet said...

are we sleeping tonight or are we too excited? can't decide.

miss kitti said...

Shawn- of course we'll always be friends!

richard dandelion said...

Shawn, don't be silly. You're never the odd woman out in this family. We're all sort of odd, and no one's out! ('Cept our dear uncle/brother, in a manner of speaking, before.) :-)

No one here is attacking McCain. We're just very, very happy that there looks to be an opportunity here to make some significant changes in the direction our country is heading.

Nor are we naive enough to believe that it's all rainbows to the pot of gold from here on out. But neither are we going to allow this day to be marred by cynicism and naysaying.

Our prophet GBH once admonished us that You can’t, you don’t, build out of pessimism or cynicism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen!" Today is a day when many of us --especially myself-- have been reminded that we have been too cynical, too pessimistic.

Well I'm not going to do that anymore.

miss kitti said...

Hurray! I love positive thinking!

annie said...

what? no pot of gold? i demand a recount!

auntie shawn, you are definitely not the odd one out. you might be odd though. hee hee. :D

anyway, did you not read your daughter-in-law's post? also, i think my mother swings your way, too. and to be honest, its like what darin and dave said in that link miss kitti so kindly provided in this post, i don't agree with all of either candidate's policies. i'm going to venture to guess that you don't, either. i'm sure we're closer in ideology and politics than we realize. (that's a general "we" for the country? i think?) i got lost in that sentence. hope it makes sense. :P

Shawn said...

Here, here. Well said, everyone. For the record...I did enjoy Obama's speech.