Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Tale Of Two Bras

Yep, that's right. I said bras.

This Spring I finally admitted to the universe that all was not perfect in my life. In fact, it was time for new bras. And a fitting to be sure that said bras were doing their best jobs: to lift and separate (don'cha know). Very important. I bought three and life returned to its regularly scheduled happiness.

This Summer, however, what with The Wee Beasties Incident and all, a tragedy occurred. I accidentally threw all three new bras into a super hot wash load that happened to also include Bright Red Things. Yes. My new beige, neutral-colored bras. Hot Water. Bright Red.

Sadly enough, one did not make it; both wires mysteriously missing, strange blue/gray/pinkish color, one of the hooks was broken. Did I mention there were also jeans in this load. And also, this was an Accident (read: not on purpose. I would NEVER do this on purpose!).

And then there were two.

The other two came out a lovely shade of mauve and only missing one wire between the four possible (if you're following). Fortunately, I found the rogue wire and put it back. Phew! But then I didn't have any appropriately colored bras for white shirts. Because really, nothing says "I dressed in the dark" or "I'm a skank so look at my bra" faster than a dark bra and a light shirt. (again, don'cha know).

Well, maybe you can see where this is going. I HAD to bleach one of them. Yes, I did. And it did lighten it. It also sped up the decline of said bra, about one-hundred fold. (insert head thrown back in a wail)

This month that rogue wire decided to go, well, rogue again. Only, it didn't just poke out. Oh no. It poked in. Ahem. Very uncomfortable. Things must be done. Or thing. Whatever.

And now I have new bras again.

What have we learned?
A) Never wash bras on anything other than delicate cycle (or hand wash, if you're not lazy or pressed for time like me)
2*) Never wash with Bright Colors
D) Don't Bleach Your Bra. It doesn't like it.


*Sorry, MJ, I totally stole this but it makes me laugh every time.

9 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

I didn't think I told you about Jane's new underpants?? I washed a pair of Josh's underwear with a bath mat, opps. Jane now has a really cool pair of pink Thomas the Train panties.

But really I've done this many times, which one were you referring too?

I too am having bra trouble, remember those four bras I bought when I first came to visit. One by one the wires have busted, I think this pregnancy is the straw that broke the camels back as it were.

I only have one left unless I am willing to play doctor and jerry-rig up another one. Lame! I feel your pain.

Sherry Carpet said...

one word: wacoal.

but you probably have secrets i don't even know about, as i'm kind of inept at the lingerie shopping (so little practice over so much time). what is your brand of choice?

Nicea said...

Imagine my head tossed back in laughter.

I have no advice to give as my bras have had very little experience and largely no function over the years but to lounge about and look pretty ....empty. Sigh. Can you say concave?

annie said...

i am my mother's daughter. thus, no advice.

ps i'm totally pickin up your "home alone" reference. :P

Dorri said...

Totally feel your pain. I went bra shopping for the first time in like 4 or 5 years about a month ago, sad yes I know. But then after buying 2 bras it took me like another 3 weeks to finally end up with ones that didn't hurt, didn't have the electronic tag on it, ones that didn't have the twins in another time zone from sticking out so far, and were the right color. Now that I have the right ones life is so good!
And while I've never washed my whites w/my reds I've washed my good shirts with little guys jeans that had crayons in the pocket, not good.

miss kitti said...

MJ -sorry about your bra-woes. Just think, six months from now you can totally get all new bras again. (But get some now,too, because no woman should have to suffer with pokey wires.)

SC -what's wacoal? I don't know about this yet.

Moddy, so happy for you and your new bras. It really changes the outlook on life, no?

Nicea, Annie(gold star to you!)-I have no words. Other than envy. That word did cross my mind. The need for no bra -whoa- what's better than that? Nothing.

Sherry Carpet said...

wacoal is a brand that feels sooo good. i don't always like the patterns but they just fit. nordstrom carries them and other department stores. please do yourself a favor and try one sometime.

Natalie said...

VC - sexy yet functional....and they throw in a "fitting" for free. Too much information from a grandma????

Natalie said...

Sorry VS not VC. I can neither see the letters or type them...sigh...