Friday, May 16, 2008

Wee Beasties

Can you feel your scalp crawling? Because I can.

Yep. THOSE "wee beasties". Grace woke up with a itchy head and "sand" in her hair. EWWW. It's been going around her class* and I thought we'd missed it. Grace's whole classroom has had regular checks (and at home as well) and has instituted a "no hugging or standing too close" policy. Also, no stuffed animals or anything else the could harbor said beasties.

Poor Sweetie. Justin started stripping our beds immediately and I left for the store to get the treatment x 2 (just in case, what?!, we have a lot of hair in our family). Plus a few extra feel-better treats, ahem, reisen. Grace had to sit still for about 2 hours while I administered the medicine and then fine-combed out her hair.

Justin was fabulous, vacuuming all floors, mattresses, the couch, the stairs, the landing, remaking the beds, reassuring Grace that we're not mad and everyone gets it (mostly), and taking care of dinner. Lovely man.

Fifteen loads of laundry later, actually not later -our dryer vent is clogged and we're only half-way through. Perfect timing. The point is: it's getting done and there are FIFTEEN loads! Really. Now you should feel sorry for me. Please.

The good news is that, so far, Justin and I don't have it. YAY for small miracles. We'll keeping checking, of course, and I'll be re-treating Grace in two days and redoing our bedding again at the same time -just in case. I seriously considered cutting hair yesterday (sorry, Justin, but it's true). Then I remembered that not once in the two times that I brought it home, as a child, did my Mom cut my hair -or suggest it to me, out-loud.** Naturally, I should do the same for Grace. I have a standard to uphold, after all. Now, if Grace had been a boy?... (definitely)

The upside? I totally have a clean house. Awesome. Okay, back to laundry. Love you all.


*To the Halverson's: the incubation for lice is 10days, so she didn't have it in CA. Just to put your minds at ease, and mine too -I want us to still be friends!

**I know my Mom's a Saint but even saints are allowed to think whatever they want, right? And if she mentioned haircutting to other family members I either never found out or have blocked it out. No harm done. Perfect image of Mother still intact.

5 comments:

Erika said...

Thank goodness for all the modern remedies we have so readily available to us! I really do feel sorry for you having to do 15 loads of laundry!! Today is my laundry day (I try to only do it on Friday's-I spend most of my day doing it) and I really can't stand it! (that and cleaning the bathroom-it's a toss up)We'll be folding our clothes together! By the way, sounds like you got yourself a great husband!

Dorri said...

I AM SO SORRY!!
I totally remember going through those treatments and being so mad. I don't remember you bringing them home, I'm sure that I did too, but I remember one daycare child in particular that brought it into our home several times.
We had a scare a couple of months ago. The mom of the kids I watch called in a panic, she had no clue as to what to do. So I walked her through the whole process and told her that when they were all clear she could bring them back. She kept them home for a couple of days while she cleared things up. Luckly no one in our house got them. And I checked them carefully for several weeks after that. I still check them from time to time, usually disguised as mommy combing their hair, it works everytime.
Good luck and have lots of chocolate, it helps to calm the nerves!

Dorri said...

Oh yeah, and if you can braid her hair. I remember mom always keeping our hair in braids for at least a week after any break outs.
Again good luck!

Sherry Carpet said...

miss kitti, speaking for all the halversons, we would be honored to get your cooties! as it is, we only have a box of grace's leave-behinds to remember her by, which btw I finally have all ready to post. i've been slow as anything, but i will try to get them sent out next week!

Maudie Jane said...

I'm so sorry about the wee beasties, but way to look at the positive side if the sitch!