Friday, May 09, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Grace had her frenectomy on Wednesday. According to Grace it went well and didn't even hurt that much. According to the school nurse, Grace was practically hyperventilating from the anticipation while she waited for Justin to pick her up. I'm glad she only remembers the good stuff.

In preparation for the Event, and in the fine old tradition of great parents everywhere, I promised Grace any treat she wanted as long as she let the dentist work and didn't make a big fuss. Of course, we had to qualify what Not Causing A Big Fuss was:
  • some tears but no wailing,
  • asking one time only for a moment to collect oneself,
  • sitting in the chair until completion of procedure.
After we defined the terms, Grace defined the treat (I love this): one house salad from Outb*ck, ranch on the side, no tomatoes, no onions, with croutons. Poor Grace, she loves a good salad and loves even more a salad from Outb*ck.

We haven't been there in over a year (a year and a half, actually). When last we visited there, Justin and I both came down with a serious bout of food poisoning. Justin ended up in the hospital for two days and I ended up in bed for a week. Not my favorite time ever. Since then, neither of us can bring ourselves to go back.

But now, Grace wants a salad. And, she endured the terror of the dentist's chair to get it. So, we'll compromise; Grace will get her salad via take-out. All settled.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

3 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

That is too lol funny, I just love Grace. You guys are great parents and I love that you A) define the terms w/ Grace (let there be no missunderstandings) 2) let Grace choose her treat and D) have a child that considers salad a treat! Well done, I bow to you both.

Dorri said...

I'm glad that everything when well for Grace. Love that she choose a salad as her treat.
Hope you have a great mother's day.

Erika said...

Love the salad thing! You've got your daughter trained so well! I'm glad the frenectomy went well.