Monday, May 19, 2008

Any Given *Conference* Sunday

Thanks to all for the sympathy. I can feel the love. (Sending out air-kisses to you all)

Yesterday we went to stake conference in Altoona. To be perfectly honest, we are not regular conference goers. It's an hour ride plus two-hours of sitting plus another hour ride. Not that big of a deal, however, it always seemed to me a cruel thing to do to a little kid, not to mention my old bones can barely take all that sitting.

Grace was a perfect sweetheart the whole time. We read "Dragon Slippers" (Jessica Day George) on the way there and back. It kept us all entertained and I didn't even lose my voice. Hurray. As a side note, the last time I read out loud in the car, for an hour straight, I totally lost my voice for a few days.

I don't know if I was a perfect sweetheart or not but I did sit quietly and only laughed at the appropriate times (read: when everyone else was laughing). I don't want to tell tales, so I won't, but there were times...*

Elder Scott was visiting to reorganize our stake presidency. We got there a whole HOUR early (this is a big deal for us) to get a decent seat. (Okay, it's totally true that I went for the celebrity appeal of Elder Scott and not many other reasons. But is it really so bad to want to hear an apostle in person? No, it's not. Don't judge me.)

Anyhow, Justin found us a seat in the second row. Totally awesome and intimidating. Remember, our visiting apostle? Elder Scott of the piercing stare? Yes. Intimidating. Also totally great. There's a huge amount of love and compassion in that stare, I discovered. He spoke about love; between children and husbands and wives. In particular he strongly recommended that we tell our spouses that we love them and why - all the time. He gave many examples of how he and his departed wife would leave love notes. It was very touching. His message was so uplifting and gentle.

I was also happy because the above is something that Justin is an expert at. He just randomly tells both Grace and I that he loves us and gives specific reasons why. In truth, sometimes it's hard not to have a big head. According to Justin, I'm amazing. I love how he sees me. (Have I mentioned what a great husband Justin is? Well, he is. Don't hate me for finding him first. I'm sure your husbands are lovely, as well.)

Elder Scott also pulled two young women from the congregation to answer a few questions, in front of everyone. Namely:
  • does your family read scriptures together?
  • does your family pray together and how often?
  • do you pray/read scriptures individually?
  • why do you choose to dress modestly and is it difficult to follow through?
So, you know, a little stressful. Dressing modestly -check, scriptures and prayers -half-check. We've got work to do. I totally see the value in it and understand that it is important. I also know and understand the importance of exercise and not over-eating. Both are also works in progress. Not perfect but trying. Let's leave it at that, shall we.

All I know is, it could happen to anyone and now that I know that -wow. Either be super righteous when you attend a conference with a visiting apostle or you know, don't go. (I don't really mean that. Except, kind of.) Or talk to your kids in advance. What? I'm just saying...

No really, super righteous or not, I'm totally glad I went and not at all sorry for the reminder to do better.


*you can ask Justin or I via email or phone

8 comments:

Erika said...

Stake Conf. is tough for kids, and tough for the parents who have to deal with the kids, or in my case tough for me since Ryan rarely is able to sit with us (they have bishoprics sit on the stand). So I really don't look forward to Stake Conf., but I give props to you guys for going that long distance (ours is 10 mins. away). I remember when we were little they had kids (was it under age 8?) go to primary while the others met in the chapel. I almost wish they still did that, but then those sisters in primary would miss out on the conference, so maybe that's why they did away with that??? Anyway, thanks for the reminders to be praying/reading scriptures. Something we need to work on too!

Dorri said...

Erika, I remember your fmaily coming into stake conf. with the matching hair bows, at least I think that it was your family, it's a little hazy in my old age. Ot maybe it was another family with a lot of girls??? But I remember going to primary during stake conf., I wish they's bring that back. I think that I can count on 2 hands the number of times we've gone to stake conf. since we've been married, how sad am I.

miss kitti said...

Wow, Erika, I'm so glad you reminded me of the kid's conference. I thought we used to have that and then decided I must be crazy. Always nice to know I'm not.

I loved the kid's conference. If the responsibility were rotated among wards no one would have to miss all the time. Oh well.

Moddy, I'm right there with you. Do what we can, right?

Erika said...

Ya, that was probably us with the bows in the hair. My mom also insisted we wear matching dresses until we were in YW and that we curl our hair with those pink sponge curlers every Saturday night. I now inflict the same things upon my daughters, but only occasionally. Some things are just ingrained in you I suppose!

Dorri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorri said...

Erika, I talked to mom tonight, and she said that she also remembers the brown velvet dresses that your mom made, and how pretty you all looked. I think that secrectly she wished that she could have dressed us like that. The closest that she got was for Lindsay's wedding me, Maudie Jane, and Miss Kitti all wore matching pink dresses with white knee socks and white salt water sandals.
Oh and those pink foam curlers are of the devil!
I promised to never force Miss Magoo to wear them. I still have nightmares of trying to sleep with those on And some of those times I chose to wear them, crazy me.

Sherry Carpet said...

and, miss kitti, just in case you ever wondered whether justin might be real nice at home and then go badmouth you and grace all over town, he doesn't. all i ever hear is how he has the best wife and she does everything perfectly and he's so lucky, blah blah blah. sometimes it's like, OK! SHE'S THE BEST, WE KNOW!!!

but seriously, you are. and i'm glad justin tells you so all the time. he's not bad as a bro either.

Erika said...

Moddy-you are so right about those darn pink curlers! I laughed at your comment. I had forgotten how uncomfortable they are to sleep on! No wonder Gwen doesn't like to wear them very often! Cruel and unusual punishment!