Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fabulous

**Disclaimer: I will probably mention the words "blood", "needles" and perhaps other things that are not for the faint of heart. Just so you know.**

I have my monthly medication appointment today. Every month, I go into the doctor's office and get stuck with an i.v. needle and sit, hooked-up to a drip-line. It's awesome. I recommend it for anyone with R.A. Quiet time. Books. Listening to other patients on their cell phones. Listening to soap operas that other patients are watching. Listening to nurses as they poke other patients. Being glad my poking is already over. Naps. Good times.

My previous i.v. treatment took anywhere from 4-6 hours of "chair time" and my current one takes one hour. Not too shabby. I feel the results within one-two days and it stays with me right up until the day or so before I'm due for a new treatment. Fabulous.

Usually, the nurse is totally awesome and gets the i.v. in on the first poke. The last two months, however, it's taken two-three pokes plus the inevitable horrific bruising that goes with it. Which, you may have guessed, is on a vein. Guess who gets to walk around looking like a new drug user? Exciting times.

Today, we're hoping for the one-stick plan. Less bruising, fewer comments (ie, OH MY GOSH, what happened to your arm/hand/wrist??!!!"), more discreet.

Anywho, what I was really starting to say was, I'm so thankful for all those scientists out there working madly on ways to slow or halt the effects of RA. Yay for you guys! And, of course, yay for me.

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Erika said...

I had forgotten you have R.A. You found out you had it when I was still in Santa Rosa, right? I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that! I admire you for your positive attitude. Good luck today!

Dorri said...

I'm so glad that you have found a treatment that works so well for you. And I love that you turn it into soemthing interesting to do. Personally I love to listen to people I don't know on their cell phones and imagine the people they are talking to and guess what they are talking about, that is if I can't tell from the conversation. (yes i'm easily amused).

Maudie Jane said...

Got to love modern medical treatments, I'm happy you have something that helps and provides mandatory "me" time. Bonus! I hope all went well today and you didnt have Pokey McGee.

miss kitti said...

Maudie Jane, I totally got pokey mcgee but another nurse was there to insist she try my good vein first and then all was well.

Moddy, so funny to figure out who's on the other end of the line. I always get at least one doosey.

Erika, I did get diagnosed with it while still in Santa Rosa. It's really not so bad. Not to be brave or anything but I know a lot of people who have it a lot worse. But I'll take admiration any day, so thanks!

Nicea said...

Every time I hear someone with a positive attitude facing something unpleasant, it gives me a little boost. I tuck it away for the times when little things annoy me (quite frequently, actually)at which times I need a reminder that the human spirit can really conquer so much...making it possible to live a life as pleasant as we choose to make it. I love you for that, among other things!