Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Need A Little Help Here

Last night while watching a particularly funny part of the movie "Saved" I called Maudie Jane to tell her about it, not knowing that she loved this movie and owed it. Lately I've been on a movie kick, not watching them, but recording them on our DVR (best invention ever!!!!). I've recorded some great movies : The Holiday, Ghost Rider, Bridge to Terabithia, Failure to Lauch, Catch and Release, Return to Me, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and some other titles I don't remember right now. (Okay so some of the movies that I've recorded I've already seen and love, but I'm still stuck watching the same ones.) Movies that I've wanted to watch, but part of me hesitates, what if I hate them, what if I've been waiting to see a movie that I'm going to get 20 min into and have to turn it off because it sucks!
Back Story: A month or so ago our old DVR died, and we had to replace it with a new one which was fine. But we or should I say "I" lost a lot of movies that I had recorded to watch and never did (yes I'm a PROCRASTINATOR). So I'm trying to learn from my lesson and watch the movies that I record in a timely manner.
But my problem is that no matter how many good movies that I've recorded to watch I still find myself drawn to a couple that I watch over and over. Like I said I watched Saved last night, and really liked it. But for the last couple of weeks or month or more I've watched about 3 movies over and over, P&P (both versions, it like watching 2 different story lines and I have things about both that I really like), and um, okay maybe it's only been 2 movies over and over, but I know that I like them and I know what to expect. Hubby is getting a little tired of the same thing on, and the kids moan everytime I turn one of them on. Miss Magoo calls them the "mommy movies" in other words movies that don't appeal to her.
I haven't been out to the theater since the 5th Harry Potter came out, so I'm alittle out of it as to new movies out there. So I'm asking for a little help, are there any movies that are must sees??
Are there any movies that you loved, maybe because they made you laugh, cry a little of both?
Tell me about them, I need to get out of my rut, for the sake of my hubby, please give the girl some help.

5 comments:

Erika said...

One movie that I recently saw in the dollar theater that I really liked was Penelope. Have you heard about it? It's about a girl (Christina Ricci) who was cursed and born with a pig nose, and the only way to break the curse was to find a man who would marry her. It sounds cheesy, and I guess it is, but it's so funny! I love the actors! It also has the mom off Home Alone, Mr. Bingley on the new P&P, and James McAvoy (Becoming Jane-LOVE him!) Anyway, I'd highly recommend this movie-it's a little wacky, but I love that! It's totally wholesome-Gwen wants to see it when it comes out on DVD which should be soon. Speaking of Becoming Jane, did you see that one? It has a sad ending, but an excellent movie about Jane Austen's life. I also loved August Rush. I've heard Dan in Real Life is supposed to be hilarious, but it's rated PG-13, so I would have to see it secretly since we don't watch those, but I really want to see it!!

Meg said...

Ahh, sometimes I think we were sisters in another life. I watch Pride and Prejudice, the Colin Firth version, at least once a month, if not more. I love it. And I know what you mean by knowing what to expect because you know you will love it, even watching it for the 57th time. We don't get out to the movies much at all either, but here are a few of my faves in case you haven't seen them yet: The Very Thought of You, An Ideal Husband, The Importance of Being Earnest (I love Rupert Everett, he looks a lot like Brian to me, and I admit to having a bit of a crush!)Down With Love, Be Cool (I also love John Travolta), Sabrina (new and old), Return to Me, Sahara, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the list could go on and on. I am trying to think of some you may not have seen. If you'd like more, let me know!
Meg

Spacilly Tracilly said...

Our new favorite is Stardust, right up there with Princess Bride.

miss kitti said...

Ooh, totally second Stardust. Justin and I both loved it.

Also agree with An Ideal Husband and Importance of Being Earnest. Loved them both.

Penelope was great and we took Grace to see it. Fun story.

Erika, Justin and I just watched Dan in Real Life and loved it. We laughed and cringed so hard. It was painfully funny.

I LOVED Lars and the Real Girl. It's totally a tear jerker and sweet and delightful. And you'll come away loving the name Dagmar and then be sad that you can never use it for a daughter because she'll get called "dog". (Oh wait -that was me. But you'll still love it.)

Maudie Jane said...

I just say "there will be blood," not exactly light viewing, but amazing. And as Kitti pointed out, not as much blood as you might think given the title.

I can't stop watching the office, season two and three, so I know about ruts.

If you liked Saved then you will love Juno, if you haven't already seen it. Best movie, ever. Well at least my new fave.