Friday, April 11, 2008

Reading About Islam

I'm embarking on an educational reading phase. Of course, I learn something from everything I read, even if it's "ewww, I don't like that kind of book." But this time I'm seeking out books of a more "non-fiction" nature. Text books even or at least didactic or sacred.

In light of world events (pretty much name anything) and my own cultural wonderings, I've come to the conclusion that I need to know more about the third Abrahamic religion: Islam. My store of information thus far has come from Justin (who I hold as a reliable source, being wicked-smaaaht and all) and the media (which I hold to be significantly biased, not to mention bought and paid for by parties I may or may not agree with -except NPR, I love NPR).

In conference this past weekend, both President Monson and Elder Uchtdorf stressed the importance of understanding and respecting other cultures. Not wanting to go off of stereo-types and misunderstandings, I think a little (or a lot) of research is warranted.

I can't really believe all the hype about Islam being a violent religion. I mean, depending on what bits of Mormon history one could read, one might draw the conclusion that all Mormons are into blood atonement and polygeny -which certainly isn't true of THIS Mormon. Or that all Catholics are planning their next Inquisition. You get the point. I want a more rounded view and perhaps from authors who are not haters*.

Anywho, I wanted to start with the Q'uran. Justin suggested I read a biography on the prophet Muhammad. This would help me to understand the sacred text more fully. So, that's what I'm doing. Today I started, "Muhammad. A biography of the prophet" by Karen Armstrong. It's basically a text aimed at the unbelieving, mostly ignorant, seeker.

In a few weeks, I'm hoping to enlighten myself and possibly you all (infidels that we are). We shall see. In the meantime, if there is anyone who has already studied on the subject and would like to share, please leave comments. Justin, I'm looking at you (or at least throwing you heavily suggestive sideways glances, whichever you prefer.)

*Just a side note: While this post is a little light-hearted, I am in fact very much wanting to know more about Islam. I certainly want to show it all the respect and decorum I show my own faith. Thought I should mention this.

3 comments:

Dorri said...

I think that is great that you are expanding your knowledge of other religions. Hubby and I were talking about this the other night. I've always been curious to about other religions, as to why they believe what they do. I would love to see you post more about what you learn as you read.

Erika said...

Ditto to what moddy said-let us know what you find out in your reading!

Maudie Jane said...

I just have a few other reading musts and I am so with you! Let the reading party/cultural fest begin!