Friday, April 18, 2008

NonFiction is our Friend

I don't always remember this but it's true. I've finally (after many years away) found a work of nonfiction that is fascinating and engaging and yet about real people and real things.* Incredible!

So, go right now and buy or check out: "Muhammad, a biography of the prophet" by Karen Armstrong. It's great so far and I want to keep reading. This is key because often about half way through text books and such I want to poke my eye out but feel obligated (paid for the class or promised someone) to finish.

The introduction is a bit blah blah blah this is important blah blah blah. Sorry, but this is how it came across to me. The author failed to mention "hold on, the actual book is a great read". I think the main problem is that she is trying to force a WHOLE LOT of important information into a small space and the sheer amount of this to know and understand is too much for this average mortal. Once the chapters get going, however, information spreads out and there is room for my little brain to start absorbing things.

And the things to absorb; they are amazing and thought provoking. Ms. Armstrong begins by giving a history of the hatred, by Western peoples, of Islam. I didn't know of most of this so it was disheartening and intriguing. It also explains SO much.

Chapter two takes the reader into the "the way of things" at the time of Muhammad's life. As well as a brief history leading up to. Also fascinating. Did you know that, until the Qu'ran was written, there was no sacred texts for the Arabic and desert peoples? This only happened 1400 years ago. Christians and Jews have been blessed with sacred texts for oh so much longer. We better start appreciating.

There have been several other pieces of information that have really stuck with me. One being that the biographers of Muhammad, in writing about him and his life, were extremely honest and as accurate as possible. Warts and all (to borrow an expression). Historians made no attempt to deify or "clean up" Muhammad for the masses. Ms. Armstrong likens this to biblical prophets such as Moses, David, and Solomon; all deeply religious but also flawed men**.

I really appreciate this approach to great movers and shakers throughout history. I know people aren't perfect, even our spiritual leaders, and it's frustrating when people pretend that they are or were. Case in point, Joseph Smith had many wives, failed banking attempts and liked to rough house. Some people loved him and many hated him. My testimony of him as a prophet isn't shaken by knowing this. He still did the other things he did, he was also just an actual person. No one gets it right every time. (I hope Grace holds on to that sentiment when she's an adult.) Anywho, (stepping off soap box) moving right along.

Another point, and this wasn't entirely new, is that humans always seem to need someone to hate and persecute. Sometimes it's the Jews, much of the time it's Muslims, sometimes it's ______(fill in the blank). Interesting though, Ms. Armstrong points to several Muslim societies where Christianity and Judaism were permitted and welcomed into Islamic regions. No one bothered anyone about what they were doing religiously. For awhile anyway. All good things tend to end at some point. Still, wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get along and not feel threatened by difference?

This is waxing long. I'm going to end here and write again when I've read more. So long and thanks for reading.


* I think the last one was "The things they carried", that I picked up at Tom's house, a very good read. Difficult to read but for a different reason. I tend to find most war books "difficult". I also tend to think they should be. edited to add: oops, that was nonfiction. But it was good!
**This phrase is from somewhere in Karen Armstrong's book. I don't know what page but it's not mine. Just so we're clear.

12 comments:

Maudie Jane said...

All good things Kitti, I am so glad that you are enjoying your book.

Sherry Carpet said...

Claudie Bushman (historian-scholar-wife of historian Richard Bushman who wrote the recent Joseph Smith bio)gave a talk about Mormons and Muslims yesterday for our ward's enrichment. Really interesting. I took some notes b/c I remembered you were studying Islam, but it sounds like you already know anything I could have added...but anyway, a LOT of correlations between the two religions. You've piqued my interest now.

richard dandelion said...

I wish that we Mormons had hewed a bit more to the line that Muslim scholars set in not mythologizing Muhammad (PBUH). We LDS are still mired in a fairly false, fairly disingenuous history created almost immediately by the Prophet Joseph's followers.

When LDS who are raised or brought into the church under these false conceptions find out the truth, there is often serious disillusionment and crisis of faith. I'm seeing it right now with good friends who are struggling with their testimonies: not because they hate the doctrines of the Church or because they just want an excuse to smoke or drink or chase loose women, but because they really feel misled — lied to, even.

I applaud those historians (ancient and modern) who do their work honestly and without political or religious agendas: thankfully for Mormons, we do have some of them. If you haven't, you should definitely read the biographies of the Prophet Joseph by Richard Bushman Rough Stone Rolling) and Donna Hill (Joseph Smith: The First Mormon). They are both written by faithful members of the Church who nevertheless do a good job of not hiding the incredible complexity that marked Joseph's life (as it marks our own).

Great post, Kitti. Keep us posted, please!

Nicea said...

Fred and I are reading Rough Stone Rolling for what we call our family home evening. I agree with Richard Dandelion (where did that name come from, JT?) re the mythologizing, and find living the gospel so much more hopeful, so much less daunting when we acknowledge that there are flawed people, even amongst our leaders. I'd rather know that Joseph Smith, for example, did this or that thing in the context of his doing it, than to deny outright, erroneously and ignorantly, that he ever did it at all, especially when so many people in the religious community have read more about it than I've been exposed to in my very own Sunday School. No wonder people outside the church think we're brainwashed! It doesn't change my testimony of modern prophets and revelation. Also, isn't acknowledging our history (i.e., our past mistakes) the first step required in the repentance process, both personally and institutionally? Looking forward to reading about Muhammed. Sounds interesting. I'm going to suggest the book to Fred as our next project. Just wish I could remember everything I read.

miss kitti said...

Hi Nicea! I keep meaning to pick up Rough Stone Rolling and haven't yet. I love your FHE.

Dorri said...

has anyone read the Joseph Smith biography that was written by his mother? I'm curious to hear from someone that has read it.

miss kitti said...

I haven't but would also like to hear.

Maudie Jane said...

Hooray, new FHE plan, read books! This is so much better then our old plan. We were on the non FHE Plan plan. Thanks for the good ideas.

Nicea said...

I must admit that we were on the non-FHE plan for quite some time, too,(think years) until Fred came up with the book plan. I like.

richard dandelion said...

I've read Lucy Mack Smith's bio of her son. It's not what I'd call particularly unbiased, but it's a good read, and a useful window on the family and times of the Prophet Joseph.

I just wouldn't think of it as history; more as one person's (very biased) perspective.

Dorri said...

Thanks RD, I'll have to borrow Rough Stone Rolling from mom and dad this summer. And I've heard of Claudia Bushman, I think that she has written several books on women in Mormon history. I'd really love to have a better understanding of the church's history. I wish that they have a sunday school class on church history that went more indepth. Though I'm sure that there are some people who would rather not take a class like that.

Anonymous said...

FWiW, I've read a few books on Islam, and the one you are reading is my least favorite. I'm not a huge Karen Armstrong fan though.
MMiles