Friday, December 12, 2008

Maudie Jane's Birthday

Yes, it's true. The Best Little Sister I Ever Had is turning....something. Happy birthday, Maudie Jane (on Monday)!

Now for the roast. Or some less embarrassing stories.

As children, there was of course, the fighting of many varieties: fist, feet, yelling, tickling (I'm so so sorry for that one), name-calling, food (I wish we'd done more of that), throwing, etc. Sad times. Sometimes we were enemies.

Also, don't forget the rush to the best spot at the dinner table (always next to Dad -why was that?), the licking of the plate to ensure no one else took the spot and the calling of the couch corner on Saturday mornings.

Sometimes we shared: interests, rooms, barbies, candy, friends, dressing Tyler up as a girl, ideas (remember the pretend play with the girl who always got everything but was never spoiled?). Good times. Sometimes we were friends.

Then we grew up to be teenagers and there was the borrowing and trading (sometimes not admitted to until much much later): clothes, hair-stuff, shoes (not as much), styles, friends, babysitting jobs, the car, wild stories (mostly on the part of MJ), jokes -I love the hilarity of MJ, music (it's true, MJ introduced me to Nirvana and Green Day). Good times.

Then I went to college and we forgot that we were ever frenemies and became just friends.

Favorite scary story: I called from UT, one night when you were home alone. You were totally freaked out because someone kept calling and hanging up. I told you to go over to our friends house and you took the land-line outside with you so that I would know you were okay--all the way to the car. But as you got in the car, you dropped the phone and shrieked a little and the phone cut out. All I heard was a shriek and the phone went dead. Scariest 30seconds of my life until you called to say what happened. Phew. The End.

Then we grew up some more and now there is only sharing and sharing.
  • favorite books
  • secret favorite books
  • sometimes only "ok" books
  • texting and phoning
  • love of fine yarns and cheeses
  • husbands who love the Wegman's bakery
  • so many stories and so much more laughter
  • sometimes tears
  • sometimes soda through the nose
  • still clothes (now through our kids)
  • and on and on
I love you, MJ. Happy birthday.

3 comments:

richard dandelion said...

This is sweet.

But do husbands (even Wegman's-loving ones) belong in the list of things you share?

Happy Birthday, MJ! [insert cheesy tiger growl]

Maudie Jane said...

Best Post Ever! I mean, that was so sweet, thanks for noticing me.

I love that we dig the same books and have great need to talk about them. What would I do without book talk.

We have had so many good times together, thanks for being such a good friend. I don't know what I do without you. Yesterday I started crying because I missed you so much, pregnancy tears, I think not. I love you man.

Dorri said...

Happy Birthday Maudie Jane.
Great post Miss K, it brought back some great, funny memories. It made me very grateful that I had the chance to live close to MJ and we got to be friends as adults. I am so lucky to have MJ as a sister (glad you're my sister too Miss K ♥)