Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Bark-Off

At work today we are having a Bark Throwdown. Bark is another thing I didn't know about before moving to PA.

Melt chocolate chips, add almonds or crushed candy cane or anything else you can think of and spread out on a cookie sheet, lined with wax or parchment paper. Allow to cool in the freezer. (Or if you live in PA, put outside your door for a few seconds.) Once completely cooled, break into pieces. And there you have it, Bark.

Here's the one I did (P.S., they all had to be original recipes -no internet cheating):
1 bag 60%cocoa Ghirardelli chocolate chips
1/2 chopped macademia nuts
6 caramels (chopped in quarters)

Melt the chocolate. Add the stuff. Spread on parchment. Freezer for 5 minutes. Break and (put in a) bag.

I haven't actually tried it yet -it was 8am when I made it- so maybe it won't be great. Well see.

What I really want to know is, have you heard of bark and have you ever made it? I don't know if bark is just not a west-coast thing or if I was hanging with the wrong crowd.

7 comments:

Dorri said...

how about snickers bark, chop up a couple snickers bars, and sprinkle over the melted chocolate?? really you could do this with any yummy non-coconut candybar.

Lori said...

I never heard of it until moving to PA. Your recipe sounds fabulous (the macadamia nuts are calling me :).

Nicea said...

Funny and cool idea. Especially the name, which I've never heard of, even down in Georgia where pine needles are pine straw and casseroles are covered dishes. From your post title, "Holiday Bark-Off," who knew what it was going to be about? Because they just speak a far'n language east of the mighty Mississip. I'm especially pleased that it's about food and that you posted again.

Erika said...

I love peppermint bark! It's just about my favorite holiday treat. You can do 2 layers-one white chocolate, one milk choc. and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. I also just got a recipe from a friend for Oreo bark--melted white chocolate mixed with crushed oreos. YUM!

miss kitti said...

Oreo Bark -I love that idea.

I'm also on board with the "less is more" when it comes to coconut.

richard dandelion said...

I'm on board with the none-is-too-much coconut camp.

But as anyone who knows me can attest, I'm generally against all varieties of Southern Pacific fibrous drupe.

It's nothing personal. I'm just saying.

Nicea said...

Miss Kitti, I just thought I'd come back and tell you that now that you've introduced me to bark, I seem to see it everywhere. Well, not everywhere, but it was only three degrees of separation from Derfwad Manor (a blog I follow) to Redneck Mother (a blog SHE follows) to Capessa.com and voila! Peppermint Bark. Thought you'd like to know.