Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Belated Homecoming Parade Pictures

Penn State knows how to have a Homecoming Parade. And the 2008 version was no exception. We staked out our plot of sidewalk a mere six hours before 'go' time. Good thing too. Not five minutes later and the whole area had been staked out by other eager beavers (er, eager lions?), also wanting a good place to watch. Phew, that was close.

I'm not even ashamed to admit that I got kinda choked up when the Alumni Band went by. Loud music, played by PSU-loving old people? What's not to love?
And we all loved Charlie Brown.
You're seeing the crab of The Maryland Chapter of the Alumni Assoc . Seriously, there were at least a dozen different State chapters of the Alumni Assoc. represented in the parade. Even Utah had people to march in the parade. They don't kid around about football.
The fanciest floats were all from The Greeks. Very impressive and mostly appropriate for young children. And they all throw candy. That's really the point, right?

I put this one in mostly to show what a poor camera-womam I am. Poor Jose, I didn't mean to cut her off. She was a HUGE hit at the parade. All the floats (going by us) were targeting Josie with their candy. I think she out-collected both Grace and Dane by about half.

And that's all folks.

5 comments:

Nicea said...

Oh, poor Grace. Nightmares are the worst. It's amazing how kids really get tuned in when you read to them. I'm reading Downriver to my ESL Reading class (a mix of 7th, 8th and 9th graders), most of whom have never had their parents read to them, as I've mentioned before. I love it that they are riveted to the story as I read. Then, when it's their turn to read, they try and try and try because they want so badly to see what happens next. Did I mention that I love it?

Welcome back. I missed your posts and I hope you back is feeling better.

Nicea said...

That would be YOUR back.

Natalie said...

Welcome back! We've missed you! . I suggest (and notice how I am quick to suggest something without even being asked......) you try the adventures of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Betty MacDonald). Or any of the Beverly Cleary books. Third graders think these books are hilarious...and one can never have too much laughter around them -right?!

Meg said...

Gracie is too cute. I'm sorry she is having nightmares. I just finished The Host and I had nightmares about that while reading it! Crazy! Who wants to be chased around my aliens in their dreams?
P.S. We sent your Christmas presents yesterday, and they are wrapped, but be careful unwrapping the paper bag layer as it may pull off the other wrapping layers!

Christian said...

Now I know what it's like trying to get to State College on Homecoming Weekend. I was in Harrisburg watching the bumper-to-bumper-to-bumper traffic. The usual 90-minute trip would probably have been 180 minutes (at least), had I attempted it...