Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Blah, Revisited. And The Whole Issue Of Always Wanting More

Moddy talked about feeling blah not too long ago. Today I would like to say 'me too'. I feel blah. (Actually, I just typed 'blad' -and that really does describe my feeling blah and bad. sigh)

Perhaps I'm just going through the let down of anticipating a book for AGES and then getting to read it and now both the anticipation and the reading are over. I can never go back to the waiting and not knowing again. Poor me. Poor person who got what she wanted the minute it was available. Boohoo. And who even got to read it The Same Day. Again I say, boohoo.

Since Saturday (of The Big Read -that Saturday), I have read: Ever by Gail Carson Levine and The Swan Kingdom by someone else and started Princess Ben by Kathrine Gilbert Murdock. I have put The Wolves ... series and The Dark Is Rising series on my list at the library (thank you, Sherry Carpet).

I'm also expecting the next two Fablehaven books in the mail any day now.* And I plan to pick up several more Artemis Fowl books at the library any day now. And I just learned of the Redwall series (why have I never heard of this before?!?! Grace will love these!!! yelling intended) And. And. And.

Perhaps you are seeing the problem. Always wanting more to read. Always wanting. Always getting. No reason to ever be sad or blah.** And yet. I keep touching on this topic of wanting more and the need to acquire things and then not really discussing.

I don't really know what to say about it. Other than this: People and relationships are more important than things. This is true. Things are fun to have and to get. Also true. I feel that I need to be satisfied with what I have and stop looking to acquire. Yes. But still I continue to acquire. How does one go about stopping that habit? Other than to just stop, which as everyone knows is easier said than done.

Perhaps what I will do is this; I am not going to buy anything for myself today. There. I can do that. I'll try making the same promise tomorrow and the next day. Let you know how it goes. Oh yeah -and I'll think of what I'm thankful for.***


In happier news: The Gracetress turns eight on Friday! She will be baptized on Saturday at 2pm -refreshements to follow. Tacky or not, please consider yourself invited.

We -J and I- even managed to explain that we're not doing a birthday party this year because we want the focus to be on her and being baptized and not let a party get in the way of that. Which is really a topic for another post. The incredible part is that she agreed to it without any drama. I know, right! She is amazing, that lovely child of ours.





*Sorry, Justin - I was going to mention those when they got here. Have I ever mentioned that I have a book-owning addiction? Well I do and I haven't been keeping it very well in hand of late. It's my cheetah destiny. And sorry that you're reading about it here on the blog for the first time. At least it's not a break-up note or something of that sort. You love me.)

**No, I'm not pms'ing or dealing with the plague. In case you were wondering.

*** Blueberries.

6 comments:

Erika said...

I, too, am thankful for blueberries! Ü I can relate to your feelings of blahness miss kitti. I am stalling with BD because I don't want it to end-I don't want the blah's to set in. I can relate to your addiction of acquiring something. For me it's not books but other stuff. Just buying ANYTHING. Shopping really can become an addiction and I'm willing to admit and accept that I have a problem. But it's really hard to stop because I need that instant high. I need to feel in control of somtething when I feel I don't have control of other things. I need help. Or maybe I just need to go binge on some blueberries. Sounds nice.

Dorri said...

I can totally relate. And while I haven't read BD yet (waiting for a friend to finish her copy so I can borrow it) I went through that with the Harry Potter books. I was at a totally loss for a day or two trying to come to terms that I had now read all the Harry books and could never read them again for the first time.
And as for needing to buy things, I think maybe I need to join a support group for that or something like it. I try really hard to make a list before I go shopping at any type of store and I try and stick to it as best I can.

Nicea said...

Weren't you in a reading slump not too long ago? Glad to see THAT passed! I get the blahs every time I finish a book I love. It's like having a best friend move away.

I read Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult before we went to Lancaster County. It was a good book made better by visiting the set, so to speak. Now I'm reading everything I can find about the Amish.

Did I tell you how fun it was to see you in PA? I love when I can picture you in your setting. (Ask Coy who REALLY wanted to stay in a hotel that night. She got in big trouble from Shawn and me for fibbing to you. Right, Coy?)

Give Grace a birthday hug. Nice that she didn't protest the "no party" plan for her big 8th. What a sweetie. She must be from good genes.

Nicea said...

P.S. I can relate to the need to purchase, too. In going through boxes of memorabilia and other stuff in my locked-and-off-limits-to-the-public-
for-10.5-years room this summer, I found my Christmas shopping list for our kids from 1985. Horrible. No, I mean it. Way too much stuff. They didn't really even enjoy it that much. But I had a great time accumulating it.

miss kitti said...

Erika, it's totally that 'just opened' excitement and the control that I love too.

Moddy, the list is a good thing. My problem is that I need to stay away from amazon. No amount of listing can keep me in line.

Nicea, I loved having you visit and see our part of the world. It's so pretty here! You're right- I was totally in a slump not too long ago. I guess I'm just a hot and cold kinda girl.

Dorri said...

Miss Kitti, it's called the wish list. I put everything that I want on there and then when I have a little extra I buy something off my list. It's amazing how after a while some of the things of my list aren't a need anymore. Though I try and make sure to spend at least $25 so I get free shipping.