Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm Thinking...I'm Thinking...**

... about food.

I'm heading out tonight or tomorrow night to see Food Inc. This idea of voting with our money is very interesting to me. Also the idea that healthy-minded people can do to the food industry what anti-tobacco groups did to the tobacco industry is very hope-inspiring.

If we learned to see fast food for what it is: high salt/sugar/fat; rather than how it's viewed now: a quick and easy solution to end of the day fatigue or a yummy treat (that sometimes ends up being an everyday treat); well, we would be moving in the right direction.

I have read a number of articles lately about the addictive properties of food. I have often thought, as well as being told, that food addiction isn't much different than any other substance abuse issue. With the big exception being that one can't "quit food". That whole "needing to eat" thing can get pesky.

But it's true -individuals use mood-altering substances (drugs, alcohol, tobacco, food, whatever) for the benefits they give. Sometimes euphoria, relaxation, avoidance. Maybe the habit becomes an addiction or maybe it's a habit that "can be stopped at any time".

Ideally, one would find healthier ways of dealing with life issues and, those issues dealt with would no longer require the addictive substance. For example, to unwind at the end of the night I like to eat a treat. It turns out that talking with J, watching a show or reading are also great "wind-down" activities. It would behoove me to choose a non-caloric activity at the end of the night

**So it turns out that I started this back in August 2009. Interesting and I wonder why I didn't ever post it. Maybe because I didn't make it to the viewing of Food Inc. Anyone catch the documentary and want to comment?

Anywho, since I seem to have made a habit of not posting and here I find a mostly suitable post ready-made...yep...here you go.

4 comments:

Dorri said...

I think this is so true. I have had to change my way of thinking when it comes to eating. I have been trying to think of eating in terms of what my body needs, not what my emtional self wants. When I first started going without fastfood, I would still feed it to my kids for convience sake. But it finally dawned on me how stupid that was. If I wasn't eating it because it wasn't healthy for me why was it okay for my kids. So now I try and have other things on hand for when we are in a rush. I am also trying to find other ways to reward the kids and myself besides food.

sherry carpet said...

i like this hopeful message. sometimes just going to the grocery store seems like a hopeless venture: everything packaged to the max, processed and pushed on kids. it makes meal time the most frustrating time of the day for me.

it's nice to hear more about alternatives to the culture we've boxed ourselves into. sometimes the alternatives seem get a little over-earnest and i have to roll my eyes at myself sometimes when i find myself spending 10 minutes in front of the egg section. have you seen Portlandia? i think this is so funny:

IS IT LOCAL? http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/

Spacilly Tracilly said...

The movie is now on Netflix instant play and well worth the watch. It will definitely make you rethink where your meat, especially chicken, comes from. Also watch Micheal Pollen's Botany of Desire, very fascinating and scary how at risk our uniform crops are in danger as we breed out variety.

Definitely an addiction. In fact chocolate sounds good about now. I am the first to admit I have issues. Brushing my teeth early in the evening helps me sometimes to avoid the unnecessary snacking.

Spacilly Tracilly said...

The movie is now on Netflix instant play and well worth the watch. It will definitely make you rethink where your meat, especially chicken, comes from. Also watch Michael Pollen's Botany of Desire, very fascinating and scary how at risk our uniform crops are in danger as we breed out variety.

Definitely an addiction. In fact chocolate sounds good about now. I am the first to admit I have issues. Brushing my teeth early in the evening helps me sometimes to avoid the unnecessary snacking.