Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Feel...?

I don't know. Sad? About the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy. I'm not terribly familiar with either his political career or personal life. However I feel saddened for the loss of what he represented in my narrow little world.

I hate the end of Things As They Were. Senator Kennedy represented that for me. A family of Movers and Shakers. There isn't another family, in my mind, who comes close to possessing the power, romance and magnetism of John, Bobby and Ted*. The Camelot President, The Peace-Seeker, The Politician (with incredible bi-partisan clout).

Where is the next dynasty? If I didn't strongly dislike the B--- family, well, there's them. Who else is there? It's like when Johnny Depp became the new Willy Wonka. Gene Wilder is a classic. Who can top that? No one. But it's Johnny Depp -not better, just younger and cuter. But not the same. You know?

Or like when my parents sold our home in SR. No other home will have the memories and character of that one. It's like they changed the location of our favorite sitcom. Same stories new setting. (What if Friends took place in Nashville? Not. The. Same.) Same Bat-time, new Bat-channel.

Anywho, I wanted to say something and it turns out I have very little to say. Just, I'm sad. How are you feeling?



*don't get me wrong, I appreciate that these men were mere mortals and made mistakes like anyone else (sometimes bigger mistakes)

5 comments:

Nicea said...

You have a lot to say. And you say it very well.

I feel....I can't express it as well as you, but there WAS a certain mystic about the Kennedys, wasn't there. I've heard snippets of some of Ted's speeches on and off today, and he certainly had a way with words. So did his brothers. You can't say that about everyone. There's also something about a family of 9 (was it 9?)children, so many of whom were in public life on such a grand scale. Yeah, you said it best: I hate the end of Things As They Were.

Nicea said...

That would be "mystique" not mistic.

miss kitti said...

Thank you, Nicea. You totally get me. I think there's a little mystic too :)

Sherry Carpet said...

i haven't been in the car today, where i get all my news. so i didn't know until i tuned in here. can the world really be changing irreversibly while i do my dishes and chase my kids around the yard?

i am sad to hear it. for the reasons you said. and because i liked his face.

Shawn said...

I like the way you write. One afternoon I was listening to a debate on the radio as to whether or not Senator Kennedy should step down because of his illness and then the very next day, the radio reported that he had died. Surprised me.