Friday, March 27, 2009

Judging A Book By Its Cover

Sorry, this post is exactly what it sounds like. No profound symbolism here.

I went to pick out a book this week. A follow-up book to P&P, in which Miss Mary Bennett is the protagonist. Unfortunately, it paints Elizabeth Bennett's marriage in less than happy terms.

Guess what? I won't be reading that book. Anyone having the nerve to suggest that EB and Mr. Darcy are anything but blissfully happy for the rest of their lives can in no way write a story that would interest me. Hmmph!

Other relationships that must also, always be referred to in the most glowing of terms:
Jane and Mr. Rochester as well as Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. I think that's it. Anyone else is free to their ups and downs.

Who are your favorite, perfect literary relationships?

In other news, go get The Graveyard Book. You will love it*. Or you won't. One of those.


*And if you do, tell me what you think.

7 comments:

Erika said...

I have the Graveyard Book sitting on my nightstand along with many others. Hopefully I'll get to it before it's due back at the library. I thought that if you gave it 5 stars it must be really good! Ü

For me, the ultimate romance that cannot be touched is Jamie and Claire in the Outlander series. Right behind them are Red and Sorcha in Daughter of the Forest and then Bran and Liadan in Son of the Shadows. Soooooo good!!!!!!

miss kitti said...

So true, I do love Red and Sorcha.

richard dandelion said...

Yossarian and the chaplain.

Shawn said...

I'm totally with you on Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I won't be reading that other book either. How dare they even think it, much less write about it?!

Meg said...

Emma and Mr. Knightly, Bella and Edward though she doesn't deserve him. (I just watched the movie for the first time and loved it!)
I love your posts Kitti! And yes, I am with you, I will never read that book. Why do people feel there needs to be heartache in order for something to be good? Bliss is good enough sometimes.

Nicea said...

For anyone to even THINK that there is trouble in Mr. Rochester and Jane's relationship is unacceptable. I read about it in ninth grade and I'm positive that for their relationship to have thrived all this time is unrefutable evidence that it will last forever.

Have I made myself clear?

B and BO said...

Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth! I totally agree!! So sad for them, and then so, so happy! I even love the movie. (Thanks Natalie N. for letting me borrow it!)

Also, and I'm ashamed I don't remember the names, but I like the relationship/companionship/love of the two leads in the book 'Papa's Wife'. My mother tried to get me to read it for ages; I was positive it was too "old-lady" for me. I was right. I would never have appreciated it until I got married (not that other people wouldn't, but I wouldn't have). It is just sweet to me how they grow in love for each other, and how they cherish each other after years of living/working side by side, and how sweet relationships really can be, no matter how they start out.
I cried and vowed I'd try to do better!