Thursday, June 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Justin!

Today is the big Three-Three. Here's to forty-seven more*! Happy days and long life!



And lots of chocolate cake. Or the perfect cheesecake, whichever you prefer.



To honor Justin on this loveliest of days, I would like to share with you some little known facts. Unfortunately, I think Justin would prefer the little known facts remain "little known". To make up for this I will instead share some of his super-amazing abilities:
  • giving compliments -Justin knows how to compliment people on things they care about in a very sincere way. It's wonderful to be around him and to know that he really means it. (Also a great way to win friends and influence people -kidding, but funny, no?)
  • guessing what his presents will be -for example he guessed that he was getting a shark after I gave him his only clue, "You'll never guess what I'm getting you" (the rule in our house is, if you find out...you don't get it. No joke. Guess who never got a shark. )
  • fixing cars -brakes, starters, timing belts. This is truly a magical ability and has saved us so much money over the years.
  • delivering great one-liners and finding the silly joke -I hear he may have inherited this talent from his mom (thank you, Ceri), it has kept us light-hearted and laughing many a day and night. My favorites are the ones that make me look good, Me: "I'm so hot right now" (referring to 90 degree weather); Justin(in Joey voice): "Yes. You are."
  • gift wrapping -this runs in the family and it's the most amazing, beautiful talent. I love gift-giving times when J is doing the wrapping. I like taking pictures of the gifts before they're even opened.
  • (from Grace) Wrastling -playing horse, pushing people over unto the bed, carrying people by their feet, all the things a little kid would want, swatting with towels, who can hit the hardest when giving "five" -mommy never participates in this.
  • Staring down a moose -need I say more?


Happy Birthday, Sweetheart. I'd pick-up-on-you at an old folks home any day!





*because, with the exception of my parents who should live on into their hundreds, I think 80 is the perfect age. To. Be. Done. I've expressed this thought to J and he agrees. Eighty and no more. Not that we're at all macabre.

9 comments:

annie said...

so i know this is justin's special post but all i can think about is...what happens after you turn 80 and you're still alive and kickin? are you guys going to kavorkian or something? just wondering...

also, i totally agree about being done at some point. i don't know what age exactly, but i don't see any reason to prolong my life once the body betrayals happen more frequently than they do now. (like everyday as opposed to once in a while)

so, on that upbeat note, happy birthday Justin! :) i hope you're around for many many more (like 47).

richard dandelion said...

annie, i'm sure we'll figure something out. probably involving copious amounts of weed.

NB: This is about the nicest thing anyone has ever written about me. Don't know if it's gauche to comment on an encomium, but I feel I must give props to my dad, who taught me everything I know about fixing cars, and to my friend Budge, from whom I stole the cheesy "yes you are [hot]" line in high school.

Also, that moose was looking at my gut. What was I supposed to do? I'm working on it.

Jamie said...

I would like to add that Justin is a master of all things literary. As my eldest (therefore wisest) cousin on the Stimpson side, I have always been awed by the aura of genius that follows him around.

I haven't had the pleasure of spending much time getting to know Justin, as I was always one of the "little kids" at reunions, but I have enjoyed this new interaction over the blog world and hope we get to become better friends!

And Justin, thanks for letting me play word games on your blog. I love it! Happy Birfday :)

Nicea said...

Justin,I should have, but didn't, remember that it was your birthday. So,"...Happy Boody to ya, too."*

Your comments here on Kitti's blog made me laugh, which is one of the things I love most about you.

In memory of the days around Grandpa's pool when you and Brian used to re-enact scenes from Monty Python, Annie and I rented it the other night. Really. We did. (Monty Python, not the pool.)

Another funny I just remembered was the red convertible you guys rented at the airport when Ceri and Tom brought you to the MTC. You were so tall in the back of that tiny little car! I doubt that anyone else has entered the MTC in such a manner.

Love you.

*Spoken by Alex Gedicks, age 2, at the birthday party of a fellow 2-year-old, Mesa, AZ, 1980. Everyone sang (after a fashion) the Happy Birthday song, the birthday girl blew out the candles, then Alex ran back to the couch where I was sitting, "Mommy, I need a Happy Boody to ya, too."

Nicea said...

Kitti, you rock! I love you, too.

Maudie Jane said...

Justin, happy happy, joy joy! 33, that is amazing, you are half way to.....sorry old habits die hard. We are sending you good vibes from happy valley,(there are a few left to be found here) and wishing you a happy birthday.

miss kitti said...

Annie, I don't have plans. I'm just saying...eighty seems old enough to me.

Thanks everyone for joining the Happy Birthday Boat! And for adding more great things about Justin. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Sherry Carpet said...

jt, you look so fly in that suit photo! wowee! happy day, number 1 brother. kitti was right about the moose staring. that is high quality stuff.

Shawn said...

Happy Birthday, Justin! We can't wait to see you and Kitti and Grace next month. We love hangin' out with you. You're always game for a good time.

Love you.