Friday, February 26, 2010

True Colors?

Not personality color. No no no no no.

Your essential color. It is given to you by your mom (or dad or a close sibling). But mostly likely assigned by your mom. Someone who knows you and loves you the most. If you don't already have one perhaps the great love of your life will assign it. Or maybe you will come to Your Color on your own. (In which case, Dude, you just go on with your bad self.)

It's a color that is often paired with you and seems to stick. If you've received colored items from various family members and they haven't stuck, well, it (whatever it is) is not your color.

My color is red. My mom recognized my essential color and gave it to me. Red pj's at Christmas. The dolly with red hair. Red sleeping bags. Red reading lamp. And so on until it stuck. To this day, with all the favorite colors and secret favorite colors I have ever had, red is truly who I am. Whether it's a favorite or not; I am red.

It's my go to color. It's the color I'm most at home in. Peaceful. Essentially. Me. Ahhhh. Red for heart and happiness. Red for rage. Red for roses. Good times.

It's the color that I identify as mine. When choosing anything, I often pick up or look at red first. I may choose a different color ultimately, but we both know (red and I) that it should be red. Red is my color of confidence, happiness, safety. Home.

I suspect that my dad's color is also red. I haven't figured my mom's out yet. I'll have to inquire. Sisters, what do you think? I put Dan's at purple, Miss Moddie's at blue? and MJ's at green (but possibly purple -I have spent most of my life avoiding the purple candies because they belong to MJ. Although that may just have been a flavor thing). Am I close? Dixon seems yellow but I can't recall ever seeing him with yellow. Anyone?

Grace is pink. She tries to fight it from time to time but always comes back to it. I imagine there will be a time in her teens when she loves it again and then will publicly scorn it. Then in her mid-twenties she'll openly embrace the beauty that is pink. What? I'm not saying it will go down exactly like that...let's just say I have experience.

I'll have to speak to J about this but I really think he is both brown and green. Perhaps he can narrow it down for me. But at any rate, earthy tones.

So, what color are you? What color has stuck with you all your life and can now be identified as a "you color"? And while you're at it, what are the colors of someone else significant in your life? And, Have you given any colors?

10 comments:

Meg said...

First off: We've missed you! So happy to see a new post!
Pink. Pink is definitely my color. I have wondered if I am that way because I was the first girl in my family, the first granddaughter, etc. In any case, I love it.
Brian = Green ( a dark, foresty green)
Elyza oozes pink (could be my fault)
To me, Lauren is coral and Krista is light salmon. I used this site to find the names of the colors I was thinking of.
www.invasive.org/gist/calendar.html

Shawn said...

Kitti, this was so fun to read. I love the way you write and yes! We have missed you.

I am definitely earthtones/fall colors. Have always loved them and I believe I always will. Warm. Warm. Warm.

Nicea said...

Yay, a post from Kitti! It was so fun to see you last week for dinner and then breakfast, too. Those pancakes were the best I've had in.....maybe ever! I'm glad you're in PA while A and J are there.

I think I'm yellow. Or maybe brown. I've flirted with blue over the years, probably because it's forgiving, but I always leave it for yellow or brown. There are some sigature yellows that started as long ago as the 50's like the dotted swiss Easter dress Mom made (Coy's was green and Ceri's blue). Yellow spiral notebooks in school and more recently a yellow teapot. Currently it's my yellow scarf. Brown skirts, brown shoes, brown tights, brown hair.

Unknown said...

So glad you are back. I can definitely identify colors for my kids and my husband, I'll have to get back to you on mine. It is quite possible that I am a shapeshifter of colors. Love the post

annie said...

yay she's back! (right?) i missed you!

i'm not sure what i am...brown maybe? or orange or yellow or olive green - fall colors. or pink...like the gracetress i loved it, then refused to wear it for at least 10 years, then embraced it again in my twenties. but i always go back to the earth tones.

neesh, i always thought of you as blue, but maybe because i grew up knowing it's your favorite color. i think manda's blue, too. or maybe red.

Jenny said...

I am blue, and perhaps burgundy might be a runner up. Both cool tones. I've given Andrew blue because he naturally seems to gravitate to it. I think Belle will be pink.

Natalie said...

Red Red Red. In every way red. Your posts have been sorely missed from this reader as well.

Jamie said...

My color is green. Self-appointed. I don't think most people would know that about me, and I haven't been gifted green very often. It's the color I imagined during labor, so it HAS to be my color, right?

I really love earth tones, but when it comes to my color green, it's more the true green, like grass or a green crayon.

And I think of Kevin as orange. He loves to eat oranges, he looks ridiculously good in orange shirts, and a lot of our camping gear is orange.

Fun post!

Erika said...

I'm a red girl too. I discovered this in my late teens. I love to wear red. It's the color that gives me the most compliments. I love to wear red nail/toe polish, it always makes me feel pretty. Fire engine red polish on shortly trimmed nails--classic. My kitchen is red--red kitchenaid, red toaster, red pots/pans, red everything. I am just attracted to red and find it so striking.

Thanks for the post. Good to hear you're still alive and well!

Jana said...

Love it.

Green. For a long time it's been that way. Sometimes I have a hard time buying clothes that aren't green. Well I used to, I've been better about it the last five years or so. Also I love green in nature. I made up a song about the color and sang it while driving through Oregon, standing through sun-roof in our Volkswagon, in 6th grade.